Sleep specialists nyc
Sleep is an important component of health. People do not attach much importance to this process believing that it does not affect wellbeing. But in fact persistent sleep deprivation can lead to serious negative consequences. Problems begin with minor headaches, a feeling of weakness, drowsiness and irritability. But then the symptoms become more disturbing. You may be forgetful, unable to concentrate and plan daily affairs. Our sleep specialists nyc provide the services according to such occasions. We will help you to renovate your health to feel energetic and ready for the new busy day.
The value of sleep
During sleep some processes occur in our body and then they affect the overall condition of the organism. We will bring to your attention a few operations which are present when we sleep:
- our brain completes the information received during the day. Nervous system does not overload due to the lack of a new flow of information. Therefore people often get up in the morning with ideas on how to solve problems that seemed impossible the day before.
- a thinker produces the neurochemical substances that stimulate improving memory and the emergence of new neural connections. Such processes take a certain amount of time. This is loop one of the reasons why you should sleep no less than 7 hours in a day. If you have doubt, our sleep medicine doctor will explain to you in details the importance of sleeping.
Sleep disorders and problems we treat:
- Advanced phase sleep disorder
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Confusional arousal
- Delayed sleep phase syndrome
- Enuresis (bedwetting)
- Insomnia (including sleep onset and sleep maintenance)
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
- Periodic limb movement disorder
- REM behavior disorder
- Restless legs syndrome
- Sleep talking
- Sleep walking
- Upper airway resistance syndrome
Common symptoms of sleep disorders include:
- Acting out dreams, sleep walking, or sleep talking
- Children complaining of irritability, poor concentration, hyperactivity, or bed wetting
- Depressed, groggy, irritable, or anxious mood
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Difficulty waking up in the morning
- Dry mouth or sore throat after awakening
- Falling asleep later and later over time or earlier
- Fatigue, sleepiness, or a need for naps
- Morning headache, dry mouth, or nasal congestion
- Restless sleep, including leg kicking, unpleasant sensation in the legs, or an urge to move the legs (signs of restless legs syndrome)
- Sleepy while driving, falling asleep at red light
- Snoring, pauses, or interrupted breathing during a sleep (symptoms of sleep apnea)
- Sudden awakenings with a sensation of gasping or choking
- Teeth grinding
- Trouble concentrating, forgetfulness, lack of energy
State-of-the-art diagnostic tests we perform include:
- Maintenance of wakefulness test (MWT)
- Multiple sleep latency test (MSLT)
- Polysomnography (PSG)
- Polysomnography with CPAP titration
- Positive airway pressure nap (PAP-NAP) study
- Split night with CPAP titration (PSG/CPAP)
Advanced sleep medicine
Our sleep specialist offers different methods of treatment. They depend on the nature of your disease or symptoms including possible contraindications and phobias. Sure, advanced sleep medicine is completely secure without serious side effects. Before prescribing treatment, a professional carries out diagnostics that consists of tests of various types. A sleep specialist also asks questions about your day mode to understand what exactly affects the quality of slumber negatively. These are watching TV for a long time and eating before bed, insufficient motor activity, drinking beverages containing caffeine or alcohol.
Tips for improving sleep
Our clinic takes care of patients because your health is important to us. Thereby we want to give some pieces of advice:
- turn off electronic devices at least an hour before time. The light from the screen prevents the production of melatonin, the sleep hormone. In addition, electronic gadgets emit microwaves that are not useful for the organism.
- make sure the conditions in which you sleep are comfortable. That applies not only to the linen, but also the location of the bed in the room.
- free your head from unnecessary thoughts, take a shooting bath, listen to relaxing music. Do the actions which can calm you down before sleeping.
Trust your health to our clinic
A sleep medicine doctor will make sure that you get the desired result thanks to quality treatment. She finds what is right for you using all knowledge and experience. Sleep specialist nyc will help you eliminate unpleasant symptoms. Be healthy and enjoy every day of your life!