Sleep specialists nyc
Sleep is an important component of health. People do not attach much importance to this process believing that it does not affect wellbeing. But in fact persistent sleep deprivation can lead to serious negative consequences. Problems begin with minor headaches, a feeling of weakness, drowsiness and irritability. But then the symptoms become more disturbing. You may be forgetful, unable to concentrate and plan daily affairs. Our sleep specialists nyc provide the services according to such occasions. We will help you to renovate your health to feel energetic and ready for the new busy day.
The value of sleep
During sleep some processes occur in our body and then they affect the overall condition of the organism. We will bring to your attention a few operations which are present when we sleep:
- our brain completes the information received during the day. Nervous system does not overload due to the lack of a new flow of information. Therefore people often get up in the morning with ideas on how to solve problems that seemed impossible the day before.
- a thinker produces the neurochemical substances that stimulate improving memory and the emergence of new neural connections. Such processes take a certain amount of time. This is loop one of the reasons why you should sleep no less than 7 hours in a day. If you have doubt, our sleep medicine doctor will explain to you in details the importance of sleeping.
Sleep disorders and problems we treat:
- Advanced phase sleep disorder
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Confusional arousal
- Delayed sleep phase syndrome
- Enuresis (bedwetting)
- Insomnia (including sleep onset and sleep maintenance)
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
- Periodic limb movement disorder
- REM behavior disorder
- Restless legs syndrome
- Sleep talking
- Sleep walking
- Upper airway resistance syndrome
Common symptoms of sleep disorders include:
- Acting out dreams, sleep walking, or sleep talking
- Children complaining of irritability, poor concentration, hyperactivity, or bed wetting
- Depressed, groggy, irritable, or anxious mood
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Difficulty waking up in the morning
- Dry mouth or sore throat after awakening
- Falling asleep later and later over time or earlier
- Fatigue, sleepiness, or a need for naps
- Morning headache, dry mouth, or nasal congestion
- Restless sleep, including leg kicking, unpleasant sensation in the legs, or an urge to move the legs (signs of restless legs syndrome)
- Sleepy while driving, falling asleep at red light
- Snoring, pauses, or interrupted breathing during a sleep (symptoms of sleep apnea)
- Sudden awakenings with a sensation of gasping or choking
- Teeth grinding
- Trouble concentrating, forgetfulness, lack of energy
State-of-the-art diagnostic tests we perform include:
- Maintenance of wakefulness test (MWT)
- Multiple sleep latency test (MSLT)
- Polysomnography (PSG)
- Polysomnography with CPAP titration
- Positive airway pressure nap (PAP-NAP) study
- Split night with CPAP titration (PSG/CPAP)
Advanced sleep medicine
Our sleep specialist offers different methods of treatment. They depend on the nature of your disease or symptoms including possible contraindications and phobias. Sure, advanced sleep medicine is completely secure without serious side effects. Before prescribing treatment, a professional carries out diagnostics that consists of tests of various types. A sleep specialist also asks questions about your day mode to understand what exactly affects the quality of slumber negatively. These are watching TV for a long time and eating before bed, insufficient motor activity, drinking beverages containing caffeine or alcohol.
Tips for improving sleep
Our clinic takes care of patients because your health is important to us. Thereby we want to give some pieces of advice:
- turn off electronic devices at least an hour before time. The light from the screen prevents the production of melatonin, the sleep hormone. In addition, electronic gadgets emit microwaves that are not useful for the organism.
- make sure the conditions in which you sleep are comfortable. That applies not only to the linen, but also the location of the bed in the room.
- free your head from unnecessary thoughts, take a shooting bath, listen to relaxing music. Do the actions which can calm you down before sleeping.
Trust your health to our clinic
A sleep medicine doctor will make sure that you get the desired result thanks to quality treatment. She finds what is right for you using all knowledge and experience. Sleep specialist nyc will help you eliminate unpleasant symptoms. Be healthy and enjoy every day of your life!
FAQ about Sleep Medicine
Suffering from sleep disorders, the first doctor you should visit is a sleep specialist who is capable of determining key triggers for insomnia and developing an efficient treatment plan to eliminate them and bring back the normal quality of life. Habitual sleeplessness and insomnia can greatly affect the patient and lead to poor performance levels, lack of energy, constant fatigue, inability to focus and concentrate. As a result, such conditions as depression and anxiety can occur, provoking emotional imbalance. As soon as you are diagnosed with the disorder, you must start your therapy to avoid complications. Luckily, a knowledgeable expert can deliver comprehensive and personalized assistance, ensuring restoration of your healthy sleep and well-being. Apart from insomnia, other sleep issues that the specialist can help you to manage to include narcolepsy that is a dangerous condition when a patient tends to fall asleep whenever in relaxing and calming surroundings or sleep apnea that is characterized by pauses in breathing while sleeping.
A medical test known as polysomnography or sleep study is essential for diagnosing sleep disorders and evaluating your sleep behavior, including breathing, heart rate, and movements of your limbs. The painless procedure requires the patient to spend the night in a clinic. The doctor who provides sleep analysis services will apply sensors to obtain the imperative information and recognize the main symptoms. Since for a person who struggles with sleep disorders it can be stressful to sleep somewhere while being observed and monitored, it can be hard to easily fall asleep. However, you must understand that the test is of paramount importance for repairing your overall health. And knowing how the whole testing looks like and being prepared will make the process less anxious. In case you will experience some troubles and won’t be able to sleep during the polysomnography, you need to do your best to relax and focus. Some breathing techniques may be quite helpful. You can do some usual pre-sleep routine like reading. Also, avoid caffeine consumption or anything that can affect your sleep. The last method is to take a sleeping pill which a sleep specialist may offer to you. For successful measurement and evaluation of your body and brain activity, the test can be re-scheduled.
Recognizing warning signs of sleep disorders, such as insomnia, is quite a straightforward task. It is much more difficult to spot apnea or restless legs syndrome. Moreover, the key stimulators and reasons for a condition also must be competently determined, which requires the extended expertise of the health care specialists. Thus, once you have noticed the following signals, you need to immediately contact a doctor:
- general lethargy, chronic fatigue, irritability;
- abnormal breathing patterns;
- problems with falling asleep and waking up;
- restless and interrupted sleep;
- increased emotionality;
- daytime sleepiness;
- memory and cognitive function impairment.
Generally, different types of sleep troubles can be treated by different specialists like primary care physicians, psychiatrists, or neurologists. Choosing the right sleep specialist who can deal with your disorder is crucial for attaining great outcomes and regaining good sleep. Thus, it is pivotal to understand that not all neurologists are sleep experts, and only having specific expertise, a doctor who treats disorders of nerves and the nervous system can ensure excellent care and help you to fight your health issues. Also, the key sources of your sleep disorder may differ. Thus, if the reasons lie in neurotic disorders, such as depression or anxiety, insomnia is a symptom of a serious problem, such as poor circulation in the brain, and generally, the cause for poor sleep is a neurological condition, then only a neurologist can deliver the comprehensive care and handle diseases of the central nervous system that provoke sleep problems, designing a proper plan and prescribing the right medications.
If normal sleep patterns are disrupted, drug therapy is prescribed based on the symptoms and causes, as well as effects that the treatment should bring. The first medications that should be considered are sedating antidepressants. They are effective at dealing with the inability to sleep and at fighting a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease. Thus, experiencing a major depressive disorder that leads to loss of sleep, Doxepin or Trazodone can be added to the treatment program. Benzodiazepines can also be prescribed for sleep. When starting the therapy, be sure you are aware of all side effects that may interfere with your daily activity:
- allergic reaction;
- dizziness, the possibility of losing balance, severe headaches;
- prolonged drowsiness;
- troubles with memory, concentration, and performance.